Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I guess it's just Me this time.

­I woke up,mid-afternoon.It was a typical Sunday afternoon,sun high in the sky, birds chirping and the ice cream vendor at the corner of the street tending to the children from the park nearby.

I couldn’t tell if i were in reality or still in my sub-conscience,life is cruel that way.My mind constantly pulls such tricks on myself where I’d read something or see someone,but only to awake later in my bed to find no such occurance.The mind can’t differentiates between the both.

A knock on the door startles me and the oak coloured door springs open with my mum standing by the door frame.

“Do you know what time it is now?” mum says rather displeased.

“I was just having a nap mumm” I say with a scratchy voice as if I’ve slept longer than I should have. “Your friends outside waiting for you.” She continues,in a more relaxed tone.

“What friend?” I asked as mum walked away to return to tend to house chores.

I always wondered why mum never bothered hiring a maid,it’s not like we couldn’t afford it neither was the house any small for that matter.We stayed in the penthouse of Skylight Residents,which overlooked the city.It was a 4 bedroom condominium, which however,only 2 were occupied by mum and myself.The condominium was of modern design,everything was simple yet very elegant which a mixture of wood and polished metal finish.

I came out of my room,barely conscious to my surrounding and I saw my “friend” sitting by the baige coloured couch reading the daily newspaper.

“Surprised to see me?” he said

“No shit Sherlock!” I replied sarcastically.

“What are you doing here?! I am not your friend!” I continued,rather annoyed.

“Lets go for a drive,you’ll understand.” He said awfully calm.

I looked around,slightly confused by the chain of events,my mum wasn’t in it seemed.She was the one who’d get me out of things I didn’t want to do,and of all times,my mum wasn’t here when I needed her the most.I unwillingly reached for my leather jacket and headed out into the lift.The normal trip down those 30 floors seemed forever with him there in the lift.Not only was it awkward,but I didn’t have the slightest idea of his sudden reappearance in my life.

His car was parked up front in the porch.It was a metallic silver Audi R8,a car,way out of his paycheck could even afford.

“Did you rob a bank or some shit?” I said,jokingly.

“Infact,I did” He said,cooly.

“But that’s not the point.” He continues before I could interrupt.

We took a long drive along the coast, with rocky mountain face facing towards the pacific ocean,scenic as it is,the drive was not a pleasant one.Besides the music playing from the radio,the background noise from the wind and friction between the tyres and the road,there was absolute silence in the car.Not a word was uttered until we reached our destination,which was about an hour drive from where I lived.

Our destination,which I found out later,was Cove beach.It was a 5 mile stretch of un-commercialized beach front.The sand golden from the glare caught off the still blazing sun,so fine it felt like silk to the touch.The ocean was a deep turquoise blue,clear enough to see the bottom of the warm pacific water.I inhaled deeply the sea breeze,as I soaked in the sight.I’ve been to this beach more than once and it never does get old.

“In life,you are force to make decisions you thought you’d never have to make” he said out of the blue.

“The world will not stop for your grief, it will not wait.” he continued.

“Remember,that everything you do has its consequences, and whether you like it or not,you’ll have to live with it.” he said before I could interrupt

“Your past makes you who you are today, it does not define you for who you could be in future.”

“You know what the right thing to do is. Go for the woman worth marrying.” He calmly said to me sending a chill up my spine.

“Life is about taking chances and risks.” He said after a short pause.

He turned around,my back facing his.As I turn around,he was nowhere to be seen.He had disappeared.His car was no longer where it was parked.I rubbed my eyes in disbelief, and the next thing I knew I awoke in bed back home.I reached across the bed to check the time, 6am it showed. “fuck this” I muttered under my breathe and went back to sleep.


Cheerio


P.s. This was based on a dream.

2 comments: